Average Cost Of Movers | Factors Affecting Average Moving Cost | Movers Cost 2023 |
Published on 2022-07-04
You have finally decided to move to a new location in town, or moving cross country, relocating to another part of the US. But you’re wondering how much do movers cost and what the average cost of movers would be for your move. We are here to provide you with a detailed guide on the cheap moving expenses you are likely to incur, what factors affect your moving costs, and how to choose a cheap responsible provider and save on the price. We can also do the job of estimating free moving costs for you with our free moving cost calculator. Use the free moving cost calculator at the top of the page now to figure out the average price.
What is the national average price? What will it cost? Calculating movers cost
For local moves, the national cost of movers can range anywhere between $755 and $2,038, putting the average cost at around $1,400. A long distance move can cost you as low as $2,200 and as high as $5,700. When you’re looking for a company, it can be frustrating to find much information about what the final cost will be. This is mostly because rates in the industry aren’t necessarily fixed as the cost of a cheap company is affected by several different factors, such as the ones described in the next section.
Factors Affecting Average Costs Of A Moving Company – How Much Does It/Will It Take? Your Movers Cost
One of the major things that determine the total cost of your move is the size of your home relocation companies are relocating. A four-bedroom apartment will require more work than a one-bedroom apartment. Other factors affecting the cost of moving out of state are:
- How many belongings you need to move – the size of the cargo is one of the first things that will influence how much you pay for moving services. The more you need to transport, the more space in a truck you require;
- The moving distance or mileage – the cost for movers carrying out long-distance moves is definitely more than local, short-distance movers.
- Moving date or time of the year – moving companies are a lot more in-demand during certain times of the year, which also means they are more expensive. For instance, moving during the summer is a lot more expensive than moving just a few months later, during fall;
- The types of services you choose – So, the type of moving services you ask for will be needed to determine how much do movers cost for your particular relocation. If you are working with a full service moving company, the more services you opt for, the higher the final bill will be;
- The types of objects you need to move – if you have certain high-value or vintage pieces, for instance, that usually means the company must take greater care moving them, such as having completely different types of boxes or taking extra precautions to secure the objects during transport. This can also make your rate go up a bit.
- Liability and valuation coverage – You will need to purchase liability coverage if working with a moving company. You can get different forms of protection including: Basic Release Value Protection and Full Value Protection. You may also incur additional insurance cost if you will like to purchase moving insurance coverage from a third-party provider.
- How urgent the move is – same day movers will cost more
This is why the golden rule in finding a moving company is to contact them and ask for an estimate. While it will not necessarily be the final price you’ll end up paying, the estimate should be a good representation of moving costs and what kind of moving budget you should have.
Cost Calculator – How Much Do They Cost? Calculate Moving Costs Today
To arrive at an accurate cost estimate for your moving plan, we have itemized the basic costs that the move will incur below so you can do a manual estimation of the moving cost.
Movers Labor Costs and Packing Costs
Labor costs will be determined by whether your move is local or long distance. You’ll also have to tip movers for their labor. Packing will also add to the cost, whether you plan on doing it yourself or hiring movers and cheap moving packing services.
Professional movers charge labor costs on per hour basis. For a move, local moving companies charge an hourly rate of $25 to $50 per mover. Therefore, the labor cost for a three-man team working for four hours will be between $300 – $600. Bear in mind that your home size, which has to do with the number of bedrooms will affect the number of local movers you will need and the hours they will spend, a 1-bedroom home will require two men and 4 hours to pack, whereas a 5-bedroom will require 12 hours. The no. of movers required will have a drastic effect on the cost to move.
When packing without the help of a moving company, you will need packing materials such as packing boxes, packing paper, and other moving supplies, so add that to the moving expenses. But packing is a daunting task, and that’s the reason people prefer outsourcing this aspect of their move. You can hire full service movers so they can get the packing done for you as well.
To hire movers for packing and to move it will cost you $2,300 or more. However, note that when using a full service moving company, your belongings may spend some days or weeks with them before they are delivered. Therefore, you should get your essential items and other important documents in your first night box, which you should keep with you.
Long Distance Cost
Long distance movers have more factors to consider, which makes the costs pretty much higher. Gas, mileage, toll fees, lodging if required, and additional trip incurred fees that will be passed to you are some important factors that need to be considered to calculate moving costs for long distance moves. Also, some moving companies charge by the mile when it comes to long distance moves. Therefore, your long distance move can cost anything between $755 and $10000.
Average Cost of Full Service Movers – How Much Do They Charge?
There are two types of full service moves: Local moves, which is usually around 100 miles or less and long distance moves.
Full service local moves could cost between $800 – $5600, as a range from 1-bedroom to 5-bedroom. Full service long distance moving companies can charge between $2,500 – $11,500.
Expect to pay coverage on the moving, which is usually between $0 – $8 per $1000 of value moved.
Average Costs of Special Items – Cost Of Specialty Items
Special items like flat screen TVs, piano, swing sets, animal pens, antiques, appliances and items that are considered bulky such as pool tables. Special items also include automobiles, boats, jet skis, kiteboards, sails, and other watersport equipment.
The typical moving cost for specialty movers can be anything between $400 to $2000 for special items. If you are moving your car with your other possessions, expect an additional $1000 per vehicle.
Average Moving Costs for Self Moving – How Much Do They Charge?
If you are moving within the same city (short distance), it is possible you want to handle the move yourself, especially if you have a moderate home size and friends and families who can help. Below is a quick guide on what you will need for packing and moving and how it affects the typical rates of a moving company.
Rental truck moving companies average cost – How Much Does It Cost?
Truck rental companies charge anything from $20 to $100 to rent a moving truck per day, depending on the size of a vehicle, the distance and the number of days you will need the truck. There could also be extra fees such as truck cleaning fees, tolls, and additional mileage fees. It will also require paying for truck rental insurance which maybe around $150.
Gas/Diesel Costs– How Much Does It Cost?
You will be responsible for the fuel cost of your journey. The average fuel consumption rate is a gallon per 7 – 10 miles depending on the size of a rental truck. You will also be required by the truck rental company to fill up the fuel tank when returning to truck, to avoid paying a fine.
Moving container movers cost – How Much Does It Cost?
Another option when moving on your own if you don’t want to rent a moving truck is to rent a moving container. Moving containers provide additional storage opportunities and there are no restrictions on when you can use them, unlike rental trucks. You can hire a portable moving container that you can use to store your belongings temporarily, especially when your new home is not ready yet. The average rates for moving containers is between $2,000 (1 bedroom) – $4,500 (5 bedrooms).
Movers cost for moving boxes and packing supplies
The average fee you will incur on moving boxes depends on the size of your home, how many boxes you will need, and the sizes of the boxes.
For a modest household of 3 bedrooms and young adults and adults, you can expect to spend an average of $550 on moving boxes and packing supplies. So basically, this can increase or decreases according to home size, family size, and lifestyle.
Should You Handle Your Move Yourself To Avoid Spending?
The choice is up to you. There are ways you can save cost self-handling your move but’s that’s only if you have previous experience and know exactly what to do. Otherwise, your cost to move might end up being a few hundred dollars more than what you would have spent if you hire movers who are professionals. Besides, packing and moving yourself will take a considerably longer time, and if care is not taken you might run into logistics problems.
Our Affordable Services, And How Much Does It Cost?
Professional moving services can sound like a high expense, but that’s not always the case. Apart from having some of the cheapest and best moving rates in the industry, we at Three Movers are happy to work with our clients and find the best solutions based on their budget.
You will get our expertise and dedication no matter the size and cost of your job. We guarantee:
- High-quality moving services at low average moving costs.
- Personalized packages, with only the service you want and need
- A dedicated team of trained and insured professionals
- Great insurance coverage
- Extremely affordable prices
- Completely stress free local and cross country move
Get in touch with us now for a free estimate and more information.
Examples For Average Cost Of Movers
|1 bedroom||2-3 bedrooms||4-5 bedrooms|
|Less than 50 miles||$240 – $675||$710 – $1,400||$1,100 – $4,900|
|250 miles||$800 – $2,300||$1,400 – $3,950||$2,050 – $4,700|
|1000+ miles||$950 – $2,900||$2,100 – $7,800||$4,900 – $8,100|
|2500+ miles||$1,300 – $3,800||$3,400 – $7,900||$8,400+|
Frequently Asked Questions About Average Cost of Movers
Many factors like the distance of move, weight, and type of items being moved, type of services you need, e.t.c, determine the reasonable moving prices. The good price drastically changes from move to move.
On average, you’ll have to pay $25 to $50 per mover for local. The rate usually changes based on the price of the move. Long distance movers are not usually carried out on an hourly basis.
To move a 2 bedroom apartment around 250 miles, you can expect to pay around $1400 – $4000.
You’ll probably need to feed the guys for long distance moves. But, for local moves lasting less than 5 hours, you’ll not have to worry about the cost of feeding them.
The packing cost at Three Movers usually lies somewhere between $270 to $2,200. The drastic change in prices is affected by factors like the number of things you need to pack and the time required to pack those things.
How do movers calculate the moving cost?
Movers generally calculate moving costs based on a combination of factors. These factors can vary somewhat depending on whether you’re doing a local move (usually within the same city or state) or a long-distance move (between states or even countries). Here are the main components that typically influence the cost of moving:
- Weight and Volume of Belongings: For long-distance moves, the weight of your belongings often plays a significant role in the cost. The mover might come to your home for an in-person assessment or give you a rough estimate based on an inventory list you provide.
- Distance of the Move: Long-distance moves are typically priced based on the distance in miles or kilometers between your current location and the destination.
- Labor Costs: This typically includes the time it takes to load, move, and unload your belongings. For local moves, you might be charged an hourly rate for the moving crew.
- Packing and Materials: If you want the moving company to pack your items or if you need packing materials (like boxes, tape, and bubble wrap), this will add to the cost.
- Additional Services: Some movers provide additional services such as assembling and disassembling furniture, storage solutions, or specialized handling for items like pianos or artwork. These services usually come at an extra charge.
- Insurance and Valuation: Most moving companies offer basic liability coverage, but if you want full-value protection or additional insurance, this will increase the cost.
- Access Issues: If your home is difficult to access (for instance, if there’s no elevator in a multi-story building, or if the moving truck can’t park nearby), there may be additional charges.
- Travel Fees: For long-distance moves, there might be additional fees for things like fuel, tolls, and overnight stays for the moving crew.
- Storage: If there’s a gap between your move-out and move-in dates, you might need to use the mover’s storage services, which will add to the total cost.
- Seasonality: Moving during peak times (like summer or weekends) can be more expensive due to higher demand.
- Deposit: Some moving companies require a deposit, especially for larger moves or during peak seasons. This is usually deducted from the final cost.
- Additional Fees: There can be other miscellaneous fees, like a fee for moving bulky items or for handling items that require special care.
When looking for a mover, it’s always a good idea to get quotes from multiple companies to compare prices and services. Always read the fine print and inquire about any potential additional costs to avoid surprises.
How much does long distance moving cost?
The cost of long distance moving can vary depending on a number of factors, including the size of your move, the distance you’re moving, the time of year you’re moving, and the services you need. However, as a general rule of thumb, you can expect to pay between $1,000 and $14,000+ for a long distance move.
How can I save money on my move?
To save money on your move, you can follow the following steps
- Plan ahead: Start planning your move well in advance to avoid any last-minute expenses or rush charges. This will give you more time to research and compare prices for moving services, and potentially secure better deals.
- Declutter and sell unwanted items: Before your move, go through your belongings and get rid of anything you no longer need or want. You can sell these items online or have a garage sale to make some extra money that can be put towards your moving expenses.
- Get multiple moving quotes: Contact several moving companies to get quotes and compare their prices. Make sure to provide them with accurate information about the size and distance of your move to get the most accurate estimates. This will help you find the best deal and potentially negotiate a lower price.
- Pack your own belongings: Instead of paying for professional packing services, consider packing your belongings yourself. This can save you a significant amount of money. Start packing well in advance and use free or inexpensive packing supplies, such as boxes obtained from local grocery stores or friends who recently moved.
- Utilize free or discounted moving supplies: Instead of purchasing brand new moving supplies, look for free or discounted options. Check online platforms like Freecycle or Craigslist for people giving away boxes, packing paper, or bubble wrap. You can also ask local businesses if they have any spare boxes they could provide.
- Opt for a DIY move: If you have access to a suitable vehicle, consider doing a DIY move instead of hiring professional movers. Enlist the help of friends or family members to assist with the heavy lifting and transportation of your belongings. Renting a moving truck or van for a day can be significantly cheaper than hiring a full-service moving company.
- Time your move strategically: Moving during off-peak seasons or weekdays can often result in lower moving costs. Avoid moving during busy periods like weekends, holidays, or the summer months when demand for moving services is typically higher.
- Change utility providers: Before moving, research utility providers in your new area to find the most cost-effective options. Compare prices for internet, cable, electricity, and other utilities to ensure you’re getting the best deals. Cancel or transfer your existing services to avoid unnecessary charges.
- Use discounts and coupons: Check if any moving companies or rental truck companies offer discounts or coupons. Additionally, look for discounts on packing supplies or moving services through websites like Groupon or RetailMeNot.
- Consider tax deductions: If your move is due to a job relocation, you may be eligible for certain tax deductions. Consult with a tax professional to understand if you qualify for any deductions related to your move.
Remember, saving money on your move requires careful planning, research, and being proactive in finding the best deals.
What are some tips for choosing a reputable moving company?
You can follow these 10 steps for choosing a reputable moving company
- Research and gather recommendations: Start by asking friends, family, or colleagues who have recently moved for their recommendations. Additionally, use online platforms and review websites to find reputable moving companies with positive customer feedback.
- Licensing and insurance: Ensure that the moving company you are considering is licensed and insured. This information should be readily available on their website or can be obtained by contacting them directly. Licensed movers are more likely to adhere to industry standards and regulations.
- Obtain multiple quotes: Contact at least three different moving companies to get a clear understanding of the average cost and services being offered. Be cautious of companies that provide significantly lower quotes than others, as this may indicate hidden fees or poor service quality.
- In-person estimates: Reputable moving companies will often provide an in-person estimate rather than just a phone or online estimate. This allows them to assess the size and complexity of the move accurately. In-person estimates also provide an opportunity to ask questions and clarify any concerns.
- Check for professional affiliations: Look for moving companies that are affiliated with reputable industry organizations such as the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) or the Better Business Bureau (BBB). These affiliations can indicate a higher level of professionalism and commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Read reviews and testimonials: Take the time to read online reviews and testimonials from past customers. This can give you insights into the company’s reputation, reliability, and overall customer experience. Look for patterns in the reviews, both positive and negative, to get a balanced perspective.
- Ask about their experience and expertise: Inquire about the moving company’s experience in handling moves similar to yours. If you have specific requirements, such as moving valuable or fragile items, ensure that they have the necessary expertise and equipment to handle them safely.
- Understand the contract and policies: Carefully review the moving company’s contract, terms, and policies before making a final decision. Pay attention to details such as cancellation policies, liability coverage, and any additional charges or fees. Seek clarification on any ambiguous or confusing clauses.
- Trust your instincts: Trust your gut feeling when choosing a moving company. If something feels off or if you have doubts about their professionalism or reliability, it’s better to explore other options. Moving is a significant undertaking, and you want to feel confident in the company you choose.
- Get everything in writing: Once you have selected a reputable moving company, ensure that all the agreed-upon details, including the cost, services, and timeline, are documented in writing. This will help avoid any misunderstandings or disputes later on.
Remember, investing time and effort into researching and selecting a reputable moving company can save you from potential headaches, damages, and unnecessary costs during your move.
What should I do if I have a complaint about my moving company?
If you have a complaint about your moving company, there are several steps you can take to address the issue:
1. Contact the moving company: Start by reaching out to the moving company directly to express your complaint. Explain the issue and provide any relevant details or evidence. Many companies have a customer service department that can assist you in resolving the problem.
2. Document your complaint: Keep a record of all communication with the moving company, including dates, times, and names of the individuals you spoke with. Take pictures or videos of any damages or issues related to your move. These records will be helpful if you need to escalate your complaint.
3. Review the contract: Go through your moving contract to understand your rights and the company’s responsibilities. Check if they have breached any terms or conditions agreed upon in the contract.
4. File a formal complaint: If your initial contact with the moving company does not resolve the issue, consider filing a formal complaint. You can do this through various channels, such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), or your state’s consumer protection agency. Provide all necessary documentation and explain the nature of your complaint.
5. Leave reviews and share your experience: Share your experience with the moving company on review websites, social media platforms, or other online forums. This can help other potential customers make informed decisions and may also prompt the company to address your complaint more seriously.
6. Consult legal advice: If your complaint remains unresolved and you believe you have a valid case, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in consumer rights or contract law. They can guide you through the legal process and advise you on the best course of action.
Remember, it’s important to remain calm and professional when dealing with a complaint. Clearly communicate your concerns and seek a fair resolution.
What is the difference between local moving and long distance moving?
Local moving refers to moving within the same city or a short distance, usually within a 50-mile radius. It involves relocating belongings from one location to another nearby location. Local moves are typically completed within a day or two and do not require extensive planning or logistics.
On the other hand, long distance moving refers to moving across a significant distance, usually beyond a 50-mile radius or even to a different state or country. It involves transporting belongings over a much larger distance and often requires more planning, coordination, and logistics. Long distance moves can take several days or weeks to complete, depending on the distance and the specific circumstances.
The main differences between local moving and long distance moving include:
1. Distance: Local moves are shorter in distance, while long distance moves cover a much larger geographical area.
2. Timeframe: Local moves are usually completed within a day or two, whereas long distance moves may take several days or weeks to complete.
3. Logistics: Long distance moves require more extensive logistics, including arranging transportation, coordinating multiple stops, and potentially dealing with customs or border regulations for international moves.
4. Costs: Long distance moves are generally more expensive than local moves due to the higher distance, transportation costs, and additional logistics involved.
5. Planning: Long distance moves require more planning and organization, including packing belongings securely for transportation and ensuring all necessary paperwork and permits are in order.
6. Service providers: Local moves can often be handled by smaller, local moving companies, while long distance moves usually require the services of larger, specialized moving companies with experience in handling long distance relocations.
Overall, the main difference between local moving and long distance moving lies in the distance, time, logistics, and complexity involved in each type of move.
What are the pros and cons of hiring movers vs. moving yourself?
Pros of hiring movers:
1. Convenience: Hiring professional movers can save you a lot of time and effort. They handle all the heavy lifting, packing, and transportation, allowing you to focus on other aspects of the move.
2. Expertise: Professional movers have the experience and expertise to handle all types of items, including fragile or valuable belongings. They know how to properly pack, load, and unload items, minimizing the risk of damage.
3. Insurance: Reputable moving companies usually provide insurance coverage for your belongings during the move. This can give you peace of mind knowing that your items are protected in case of any accidents or damages.
4. Efficiency: Movers are trained to efficiently organize and load items into the moving truck, maximizing space and minimizing the number of trips required. This can save you money on fuel costs and reduce the overall time it takes to complete the move.
Cons of hiring movers:
1. Cost: Hiring professional movers can be more expensive than moving yourself, especially for long-distance moves or larger households. The cost depends on factors such as the distance, size of the move, and additional services required.
2. Lack of control: When you hire movers, you are entrusting your belongings to strangers. While reputable companies take precautions, there is always a risk of damage or loss. Some people prefer to have direct control over their items during the move.
3. Scheduling constraints: Moving companies may have limited availability, especially during peak moving seasons. This can make it challenging to find a suitable date and time for your move, especially if you have a tight schedule.
4. Less flexibility: When you hire movers, you need to coordinate with their schedule and follow their processes. This can limit your flexibility in terms of timing and organization, as you may need to adhere to their guidelines.
Pros of moving yourself:
1. Cost savings: Moving yourself can be significantly cheaper, especially if you have access to a suitable vehicle and can gather friends or family to help. You can avoid paying for professional services and only need to cover the cost of packing materials, fuel, and any necessary equipment rentals.
2. Control and organization: Moving yourself allows you to have direct control over the entire moving process. You can decide how to pack, load, and transport your belongings, ensuring they are handled exactly as you prefer.
3. Flexibility: You have the freedom to choose the date and time that works best for you, without having to coordinate with a moving company’s schedule. This can provide more flexibility, especially if you have specific time constraints or preferences.
4. Personal satisfaction: Some people enjoy the physical activity and sense of accomplishment that comes with moving themselves. It can be a bonding experience with friends or family, making the move more enjoyable.
Cons of moving yourself:
1. Physical exertion: Moving is physically demanding, requiring a lot of heavy lifting, carrying, and loading. If you are not in good physical condition or lack assistance, it can be exhausting and potentially lead to injuries.
2. Time-consuming: Moving yourself can take a lot of time and effort, especially if you have a large household or long-distance move. You need to dedicate days or even weeks to packing, loading, driving, unloading, and unpacking, which can disrupt your regular routine.
3. Lack of expertise: Without professional training and experience, there is a higher risk of damaging your belongings during the move. Fragile or valuable items may not be properly protected, increasing the chances of breakage or loss.
4. Limited insurance coverage: When you move yourself, your belongings may not be covered by insurance in case of any accidents or damages. This means you would have to bear the full cost of any repairs or replacements if something goes wrong.
What should I pack myself and what should I let the movers pack?
When preparing for a move, it’s important to decide what items you should pack yourself and what items you should let the movers handle. Here are some general guidelines to help you make that decision:
1. Personal and valuable items: It’s always recommended to pack personal and valuable items yourself. These may include important documents, jewelry, sentimental items, passports, cash, and any other items that are irreplaceable or hold significant value to you.
2. Essential items: Pack essential items that you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home. This may include toiletries, a change of clothes, medications, phone chargers, and any other items you will require in the first few days after the move.
3. Fragile and delicate items: If you have fragile or delicate items such as glassware, china, artwork, or electronics, it’s best to pack them yourself. Use appropriate packing materials like bubble wrap, packing paper, and sturdy boxes to ensure their safety during transit.
4. Personal electronics: It’s generally recommended to pack and transport personal electronics like laptops, tablets, cameras, and other valuable gadgets yourself. This way, you can ensure they are handled carefully and avoid any potential damage during the move.
5. Hazardous materials: Movers typically have restrictions on transporting hazardous materials such as cleaning solvents, paints, propane tanks, and other flammable substances. It’s best to pack and transport these items yourself or find alternative ways to dispose of them safely.
On the other hand, there are certain items that you can let the movers handle:
1. Furniture: Movers are experienced in handling and transporting furniture safely. They will have the necessary equipment and expertise to disassemble, wrap, and move your furniture efficiently.
2. Large appliances: Movers are equipped to handle large appliances like refrigerators, washers, dryers, and stoves. They will ensure these items are properly disconnected, protected, and safely transported to your new home.
3. Non-fragile household items: Items like books, clothing, linens, kitchen utensils, and other non-fragile household items can be packed by the movers. However, it’s always a good idea to label the boxes clearly so you can easily locate them when unpacking.
Remember to communicate with your moving company beforehand to understand their policies and ensure that both you and the movers are on the same page regarding what items will be packed by whom.
What should I do if I have a special item to move, such as a piano or a large piece of furniture?
When you have a special item to move, such as a piano or a large piece of furniture, here are some steps you can take:
1. Plan ahead: Special items require extra care and attention, so it’s important to plan the move well in advance. Assess the dimensions and weight of the item to determine the level of difficulty involved.
2. Research professional movers: Look for moving companies or specialized movers who have experience in handling and transporting special items. Read reviews, compare prices, and check if they have the necessary equipment and expertise.
3. Get multiple quotes: Contact several movers and get quotes for the specific item you need to move. Compare their prices, services, and insurance coverage to make an informed decision.
4. Communicate with the movers: Once you’ve chosen a moving company, discuss the details of the move with them. Provide accurate information about the item, including its size, weight, and any special requirements. This will help them plan and prepare accordingly.
5. Schedule the move: Coordinate with the movers to set a date and time for the move. Make sure they have a clear path to maneuver the item out of your current location and into the new one. If necessary, arrange for parking permits or elevator reservations in advance.
6. Prepare the item: Before the movers arrive, make sure the special item is properly prepared for transport. For example, for a piano, secure the keys, cover it with protective padding or blankets, and remove any detachable parts. Follow specific instructions provided by the movers or consult professionals if needed.
7. Ensure safety: During the move, prioritize safety. Clear pathways, remove obstacles, and protect floors and walls to prevent any damage. If required, use specialized equipment like dollies, straps, or blankets to safely move the item.
8. Supervise the process: While the movers are handling the item, be present to oversee the process and address any concerns or questions they may have. Provide any additional instructions or information if necessary.
9. Inspect for damages: Once the item has been moved to its new location, inspect it carefully for any damages. If you notice any issues, document them and report them to the moving company as soon as possible.
10. Consider insurance: If the item is valuable or holds sentimental value, consider purchasing additional insurance coverage to protect it during the move. Consult with the moving company or your insurance provider to understand your options.
Remember, special items require extra care, so it’s essential to choose reputable movers and communicate effectively to ensure a smooth and successful move.
What should I do if I have to move during the winter months?
Moving during the winter months can present some unique challenges, but with proper planning and preparation, it can be a smooth process. Here are some tips to help you navigate a winter move:
1. Check the weather forecast: Stay updated on the weather conditions for your moving day. If there’s a severe storm or blizzard expected, consider rescheduling if possible.
2. Hire professional movers: Moving heavy furniture and boxes in slippery conditions can be dangerous. Consider hiring professional movers who have experience with winter moves and can handle the logistics safely.
3. Clear driveways and walkways: Ensure that the paths leading to and from your home are clear of snow and ice. Shovel snow and spread salt or sand to prevent accidents during the move.
4. Protect your belongings: Winter weather can be harsh, so take extra precautions to protect your belongings. Wrap fragile items carefully and use weather-resistant packing materials to shield your possessions from the cold and moisture.
5. Keep utilities on at both locations: Make sure the utilities are turned on at your new home before you move in. Also, keep the heat on at both the old and new locations to prevent damage to your belongings and ensure a comfortable environment.
6. Pack essentials separately: Pack an essential box with items you’ll need immediately upon arrival, such as warm clothes, blankets, toiletries, and a kettle for hot drinks. This way, you won’t have to search through boxes in the cold for necessary items.
7. Protect your new home: Lay down plastic sheets or old rugs to protect the floors from the snow, slush, and dirt that may be tracked in during the move.
8. Be cautious on the road: If you’re driving to your new location, be extra cautious on the road. Allow for extra travel time, maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, and drive slowly to ensure your safety.
9. Take care of your health: Moving in winter can be physically demanding, so dress warmly in layers and take regular breaks to warm up and stay hydrated. Don’t forget to wear appropriate footwear with good traction to prevent slips and falls.
10. Update your address: Remember to update your address with the post office, banks, insurance companies, and other important institutions to ensure that your mail is redirected to your new location.
By following these tips, you can make your winter move as smooth and stress-free as possible.
What should I do if I’m moving to a new state?
Moving to a new state can be both exciting and overwhelming. Here are some steps to help you navigate the process:
1. Research the new state: Learn about the cost of living, climate, job market, healthcare facilities, and any other important factors that may affect your lifestyle. This will help you prepare and adjust accordingly.
2. Find a place to live: Start by exploring different neighborhoods or cities in the new state. Consider factors like proximity to work, schools, amenities, safety, and affordability. You can search for rental properties or real estate listings online, or work with a local real estate agent.
3. Notify important parties: Inform the necessary parties about your move, such as your employer, school, healthcare providers, banks, and utility companies. Update your address and contact information with them to ensure a smooth transition.
4. Transfer or establish new services: Contact utility companies in your new state to set up services like electricity, water, gas, internet, and cable. Cancel or transfer existing services in your current state.
5. Transfer your driver’s license and vehicle registration: Check the requirements of the new state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for transferring your driver’s license and vehicle registration. This may involve providing documentation, passing tests, and paying fees.
6. Register to vote: If you want to participate in local elections, register to vote in your new state. Visit the state’s election website or contact the local election office for information on the registration process.
7. Find new healthcare providers: Research and find healthcare providers in your new state, including doctors, dentists, and specialists. Ask for recommendations from locals or use online directories to find reputable healthcare professionals.
8. Establish new social connections: Moving to a new state can be lonely, so make an effort to meet new people and build a social network. Join local clubs, organizations, or social groups that align with your interests. Attend community events or activities to get involved and meet new acquaintances.
9. Update your insurance policies: Contact your insurance providers (auto, home, health, etc.) to update your policy and ensure coverage in the new state. Consider any changes in coverage requirements or rates based on the new location.
10. Familiarize yourself with local laws and regulations: Each state has its own laws and regulations, so take some time to familiarize yourself with those specific to your new state. This includes traffic laws, tax regulations, and any other legal requirements.
Remember to give yourself time to adjust to the new state, as it may take a while to settle in and feel at home. Be open to new experiences and embrace the opportunities that come with living in a different state.
What are some common moving scams?
Here 10 moving scams you should be aware of
- Low-ball estimates: Some moving companies may provide an unusually low estimate to attract customers, but then increase the price significantly once the belongings are loaded onto the truck.
- Holding belongings hostage: In this scam, the moving company may demand additional fees or refuse to deliver the belongings until the customer pays an inflated amount.
- Unlicensed movers: Scammers may operate without proper licensing, insurance, or credentials, putting the customer’s belongings at risk and making it difficult to hold them accountable for any damages or losses.
- Bait and switch: The moving company may promise a certain level of service or a specific moving truck but then substitute it with a lower-quality option on the moving day.
- Fake reviews and references: Some scammers create fake positive reviews or provide false references to appear reputable and trustworthy.
- Non-binding estimates: Dishonest movers may provide non-binding estimates, which means the final cost can be significantly higher than the initial quote, leaving the customer with unexpected expenses.
- Damage claims: Some movers may intentionally mishandle or damage items during the move and then refuse to compensate or repair them, leaving the customer with broken or ruined belongings.
- Identity theft: In rare cases, fraudulent moving companies may use the personal information provided by the customer to commit identity theft or other fraudulent activities.
- Hidden fees: Scammers may add hidden fees for services that were not initially discussed or included in the contract, leading to a higher overall cost.
- Movers not showing up: In some instances, dishonest movers may simply fail to show up on the scheduled moving day, leaving the customer stranded and scrambling to find an alternative solution.
How can I protect myself from moving scams?
Here are the 10 steps to protect yourself from moving scams
- Do thorough research: Before hiring a moving company, research multiple companies and check their credentials, reviews, and complaint history. Look for companies that have a good track record and positive customer feedback.
- Get multiple estimates: Obtain written estimates from at least three different moving companies. Be cautious of significantly low estimates, as they may be a sign of a scam.
- Check for licensing and insurance: Ensure that the moving company is licensed and insured. You can verify their credentials with the appropriate regulatory agency.
- Avoid upfront payments: Be skeptical of moving companies that demand large upfront payments or require cash payments. Legitimate companies usually request payment upon delivery.
- Read the contract carefully: Carefully review the moving contract before signing it. Ensure that all services, fees, and insurance coverage are clearly stated. If anything seems unclear or suspicious, ask for clarification or consider seeking another company.
- Take inventory of your belongings: Before the move, create an inventory list of all your items, including their condition. This will help you identify any missing or damaged items after the move.
- Avoid last-minute changes: Scammers may attempt to change the terms of the agreement at the last minute, such as increasing the price or adding additional fees. Stick to the agreed-upon terms and be cautious of any unexpected changes.
- Trust your instincts: If something feels off or too good to be true, trust your instincts and consider finding another moving company. Scammers often use high-pressure tactics or make unrealistic promises to lure customers.
- Ask for recommendations: Seek recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who have recently moved. Their personal experiences can help you find reliable and trustworthy moving companies.
- Report any suspicious activity: If you encounter a moving scam or suspect fraudulent behavior, report it to your local authorities, the Better Business Bureau, or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). By doing so, you can help protect others from falling victim to the same scam.
What should I do if something is damaged during my move?
If something is damaged during your move, here are the steps you can take:
1. Document the damage: Take photos or videos of the damaged item(s) as soon as you notice the damage. This evidence will be helpful when filing a claim with your moving company or insurance provider.
2. Check your contract: Review the contract you have with the moving company to understand their liability coverage and any specific instructions on reporting damages. Some moving companies offer different levels of liability coverage, so it’s important to know your rights and responsibilities.
3. Notify the moving company: Contact your moving company immediately to report the damage. Provide them with a detailed description of the damage and any supporting evidence you have. Follow their instructions on how to proceed with filing a claim.
4. File a claim: Most moving companies have a claims process that allows you to formally submit a claim for the damaged item(s). Fill out the necessary paperwork, provide supporting documentation, and submit the claim within the specified timeframe outlined by the moving company.
5. Consider insurance coverage: If you have purchased additional insurance coverage for your move, contact your insurance provider to initiate a claim. They will guide you through the process and may require additional documentation.
6. Repair or replace: Depending on the extent of the damage and the value of the item, you can choose to have it repaired or replaced. Consult with the moving company or your insurance provider to understand what options are available to you.
Remember to keep all communication, documentation, and receipts related to the damage and any repairs or replacements you make. This will help facilitate the claims process and ensure you receive appropriate compensation for the damage.
Average Cost Of Moving
Here are other informational articles relates to average cost of moving that can be helpful:
- Average In Same City
- Average For A 4 Bedroom House
- Average For Coast To Coast
- Average In NYC
- Average Of Moving In Chicago
- Average For Moving Insurance
- Average For Locally
- Average For Interstate
- Average For Containers
- Average Expenses
- Average From East Coast To West Coast
- Average In State
- Average Labor