Canada to US Moving Services | Three Movers
Published by Chris Townsend.
Moving from Canada to US? Congratulations! Whether you’re moving for your job, returning home after living in Canada for quite some time, starting a new life or just looking to achieve your own version of the American dream, there is much to consider. For starters, ensuring that you, your family, and your possessions make it safely across the border and to your new home in the U.S. is likely at the top of your list of priorities.
Fortunately, that’s our number one priority too. At Three Movers, we specialize in long-distance, interstate, and cross-border relocations. Not only do we have the expertise, knowledge, resources, employees, and track record to ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible, but we are also here to serve as your very own moving cost calculator. While hiring a professional international moving company helps alleviate the stress associated with the physical act of moving from Canada to US, it often comes with some financial worries as well.
Well, the professionals at Three Movers are here to ease those for you. International moving is an area of specialization for us. We understand the intricacies and we’ll help shed some light on the estimated price of shipping your goods to the US, the factors that influence moving costs, and what you can do to keep these expenses as low as possible. In short, we’ll help sort out whatever your needs are as far as Canada moving to the USA is concerned.
Moving from Canada to the USA
When you choose Three Movers as your cross-border movers, moving to the US from Canada is easy. Whether you’re moving from Toronto to Tennessee, Alberta to Arizona, or Ontario to Oregon, we’ll get your belongings safely transported across the border and to your new home in the United States.
A successful relocation starts with professional consultants. When you work with Three Movers, you will be assigned a dedicated move coordinator who specializes in Canada to US moving process and will guide you through every step of the way. As your single point of contact, your coordinator will lock in dates and ensure that all the necessary services and resources are in place on your behalf.
Additionally, the team at Three Movers are expert in immigration logistics and customs clearance. They will help you navigate this often overwhelming customs process and handle the paperwork and documentation requirements for you. If your household goods have been in your possession and used by no one other than you for at least a year, they can pass through into the U.S. duty-free. However, if you neglect to declare new items or undervalue something at any point, the United States Customs Department can confiscate them and assess duties and/or charge a penalty. These are issues you should avoid.
So, if you plan on making any expensive purchases before you relocate to the United States, it’s strongly advised that you compare the cost for the item in the U.S. first. Since antiques have to be 100 years or older to be eligible for duty-free entry, it may be better to wait to buy the item(s) when you arrive in the United States. Customs will also ask you for proof, so make sure you have an original receipt document or appraisal of the value of the item.
While U.S. Customs doesn’t typically assess duty on used personal items, there are some exemptions. Things like vehicles, photographic equipment, and consumable goods may be dutiable. For more information, you can reach out to your nearest U.S. Consulate or consult with your personal move coordinator at Three Movers. While the customs clearance process may seem complicated and intimidating, that’s what we’re here for!
How Much Does It Cost to Move from Canada to US?
The cost of moving from Canada to US is between $4,500 and $7,000, on average. Though, since each move is unique and there really is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, your relocation may cost more or less than this range. In fact, there are a number of factors that influence international moving costs and will go into calculating the final price for moving to us from Canada.
With that said, the following are some of the major factors that impact the cost of relocating from Canada to the United States:
- The international moving company you choose.
- The distance from your current home in Canada to your new home in the US.
- The weight and/or volume of your household goods.
While these are the main considerations that go into calculating the cost of your move, there are others that can influence the price.
Additional Moving Cost Factors – Canada to US
While the distance of your move, the size of your home (weight of your goods), and the moving company you choose are the key factors that go into international moving costs calculations, there are additional factors that may impact final costs. These include, but are not limited to:
Packing & Unpacking Services
Generally speaking, the more services that opt for, the higher your cost of moving is going to be. If you choose a full-service move, you will receive packing services and moving boxes, in addition to the loading, unloading, and transport. For packing, unpacking, and crating services, you can expect to pay a minimum of $500 more in hourly costs. While this is a considerable expense, this add-on is great for those who don’t have the time to pack or simply want to have their entire relocation handled.
Of course, the cost of packing/ unpacking services will differ depending on the size of your home and the specific items that you need packed.
Time of Year
Believe it or not, the date that you move can have an impact on costs. Summer tends to be peak season for the moving industry, meaning the demand is high for movers and rates are at their highest. Moving companies have to raise their prices in order to compensate for the demand and, in some cases, rates can double. It’s a matter of demand and supply Moving costs are also higher around holidays, because of a similar increase in demand.
Pickup & Dropoff Locations
If you aren’t upfront and transparent with your movers, the conditions at your pickup and/or drop-off locations may result in additional charges. For example, if there are challenges related to access, you may be charged extra fees. Some of these challenges may include your movers having to go up or down stairs, transporting your goods a long distance to get to the moving truck, or potentially using a window for oversized items.
For this reason, it’s always ideal to have your moving company come out to both the pickup and drop-off locations before moving day. If possible, of course. If it’s not, just make sure you are as clear as possible about the details and potential difficulties related to these two locations.
Licensed, reputable movers must offer some sort of basic liability coverage or bond. In most cases, this is about 60 cents per pound per item. If you want more coverage for your prized possessions, you will have to pay more.
Your two main transportation options when moving to us from Canada are sea freight and air freight. Shipping via sea is cheaper but takes longer. Whereas, shipping via air is fast, but can cost over seven times as much as sea freight. Regardless of the method you choose, moving trucks will likely have to still be employed to perform the first and last leg of your relocation.
- Around 80% of Canadians who move to the United States prefer hiring professional movers for a seamless relocation.
- The average cost of moving from Canada to the US is approximately $4,500, including transportation and packing services.
- Each year, over 30,000 Canadians relocate to the United States for various reasons such as employment opportunities and lifestyle changes.
- Approximately 60% of Canadians who move to the US choose destinations like New York, California, and Florida.
- International moving companies provide customs clearance assistance for more than 90% of Canadian households moving across the US border.
- Moving companies offer professional services to help individuals and businesses relocate their belongings from Canada to the United States.
- Movers handle all aspects of the move, including packing, loading, transportation, and unloading of goods.
- The process of moving from Canada to the US involves customs regulations and documentation that must be properly completed and complied with.
- Moving costs vary depending on factors such as distance, volume of belongings, and additional services requested.
- It is important to hire licensed and insured movers to ensure a smooth and secure relocation experience.
How to Cut Moving Costs – Canada to the US
As you are examining the moving cost calculations for your relocation from Canada to the US, you’re likely going to want to try to shave off as much as you can. That said, here are some of the ways you can keep costs at a minimum.
- Be flexible with your moving date. Consider the timing of your move carefully. Avoid holidays, opt for a moving date in the winter, on a weekday, and in the middle of the month. This is when you’ll generally find the best deals.
- Do the packing yourself. Do all the packing and disconnecting/ disassembling of larger items before your movers show up. The disconnecting/ disassembling will help speed up your move, thus, lowering hourly costs.
- Only move the necessities. Go through your belongings and purge anything you do not need to take with you. You can donate, discard, or sell the excess. Not only does having less stuff to move to mean your move will be cheaper overall, but selling some of your belongings can put extra moving cash in your pocket.
- Ask about discounts. In addition to strategically planning your moving date, you may be eligible for discounts offered by your moving company, especially when you contact them in advance. Many movers offer discounts to military members, seniors, returning customers, or first-time customers. So, it doesn’t hurt to ask!
- Choose sea freight shipping. Again, sea freight is considerably more affordable than air freight when it comes to international transportation.
With sea freight being the most cost-effective of the two transportation methods, some consider booking directly with an international shipping company. Though, this can present challenges as these companies are usually not equipped to handle residential relocations.
For this reason, you’ll want to hire a professional moving company that specializes in performing all types of moves, both residential and commercial, for your move from Canada to the US. So, if you landed here in search of a “moving from Canada to US,” you’ve come to the right place.
Give us a call today to receive your free, no-obligation estimate so you can budget accordingly for your upcoming move!
Recommended Article: Best Movers from USA to Canada