How Much Do Movers Cost in NYC? – Movers Rates NYC
Published on 2020-07-10
Although moving in New York City is never fun, it doesn’t have to be that miserable of a task. If your lease is expiring soon and you’re wondering how much do movers cost in NYC, remember the general rule of thumb. The cost of hiring professional movers in the Big Apple can vary as much from day varies from the night. At Three Movers, our goal is to ensure that you have the most pleasant, cost-effective moving experience possible not just in New York City but nationwide. Below, we will also teach you to keep moving costs as low as possible to make the move more affordable. We try to plan and execute the move to be stress-free and affordable for our customers so that they can focus on their family or work instead of worrying about moving costs. We are one of the best NYC movers using our moving truck for every type of relocation, and can even help with auto transport through trusted partnership with https://www.a1autotransport.com.
How Much Do Professional Movers Cost in NYC?
Depending on who you’re dealing with, the moving company you hire will either charge you by the hour or a flat rate. Many renters prefer being charged a flat rate so that the less reputable professional movers are unable to overcharge them. So, let’s do the math for NYC relocation price with the following example to get some idea about the cost of moving in NYC:
You’re moving from a 2nd floor single bedroom apartment to a 3rd floor single bedroom apartment. The distance to your new place is 8 miles. You have a bed, a couch, and maybe 1 or 2 other large pieces of furniture, but it’s nothing extremely heavy like a piano. Based on the average moving company estimate, the cost of moving a 1 bedroom apartment will be between $100 and $150/hr. or a flat rate of $750 for a move that takes 6 hours to complete.
Add in the cost of packing materials such as boxes and packing tape and you’re looking at about $950. If you tip the moving crew (and you should), 10% is the standard industry gratuity rate. This brings the average cost of the move to roughly $1,050. If you have valuable items such as expensive art or high-end furniture, you’ll want to discuss your needs with a Three Movers representative. We are available to view it all and then give you a written, no-obligation quote. We are one of the most cost-effective professional movers and can help you by providing moving services at an affordable price for a New York Relocation.
Factors Affecting NYC Movers Cost
Unless you move outside New York City, chances are you’ll be moving from one apartment to another. Furthermore, you’ll quickly discover that no two apartment buildings are alike. Consequently, moving companies in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island can’t offer a fixed moving cost when it comes to relocating within the city. If you’re trying to create a budget for that move, you need to take certain variables into consideration.
Determine How Much Do Movers Cost In NYC With the Following Variables
- Amount of furniture that needs to be moved: If you are moving with quite a large amount of stuff then you may have to pay extra bucks. And if you wanna save that buck and use it elsewhere then make sure you get some helping hands from friends and relatives instead of a moving company.
- Moving timeline for the shift: It is important to decide the timeframe within which you want the complete relocation to get done. For faster moving service, you need to pay extra money. So if you wanna skip that cost then you must plan to move when you’ve plenty of time.
- Disassembly and reassembly of furniture: Furniture like beds and cupboards need to be disassembled while moving and assembled once the shifting is completed. The cost of disassembly and reassembly of furniture may not be included in the package and if you’re seeking help from the moving company then not to mention, you’ll have to pay some money other than the total cost of moving.
- Ease of access (i.e., distance from the street, elevator vs. stairs, etc.): Easier accessibility leads to work completion under budget.
- Heavy items being moved (e.g. piano, pool table, etc.): Heavier items need more movers and more number of trips and hence that calls for more charge.
- Moving distance to your new location: Obviously, moving to a place that is nearby will cost less. Make sure that the movers will use the shortest distance to your new location. This is especially necessary when you are planning long distance moves.
- The number of boxes you have packed: If the number of boxes you have packed is more than the truck’s capacity then the complete relocation of items may call for an extra number of trips.
Additionally, Three Movers recommends that you get price quotes from several moving companies in order to compare price quotes and help you with your decision on the company to hire.
NYC Movers Cost Examples
The table below outlines very rough price estimates based on historical moving cost information:
|1 bedroom||2-3 bedrooms||4-5 bedrooms|
|Less than 50 miles||$240 – $675||$710 – $1,400||$1,100 – $4,900|
|250 miles||$800 – $2,300||$1,400 – $3,950||$2,050 – $4,700|
|1000+ miles||$950 – $2,900||$2,100 – $7,800||$4,900 – $8,100|
|2500+ miles||$1,300 – $3,800||$3,400 – $7,900||$8,400+|
The cost is estimated by our own professional movers who have decades of experience in the moving industry. Other Austin movers of same quality may have higher price because they are not as affordable as our movers.
Long Distance Moving Costs In NYC
|To / From New York City||Distance||2 BR||3 BR||4 BR|
|New York City, NY to Clarksville, MD||211||$379.8 – $464.2||$506.4 – $569.7||$675.2 – $780.7|
|Lakewood, NJ to New York City, NY||69||$124.2 – $151.8||$165.6 – $186.3||$220.8 – $255.3|
|New York City, NY to Lancaster, PA||163||$293.4 – $358.6||$391.2 – $440.1||$521.6 – $603.1|
|Salinas, CA to New York City, NY||2988||$5378.4 – $6573.6||$7171.2 – $8067.6||$9561.6 – $11055.6|
|New York City, NY to Palmdale, PA||161||$289.8 – $354.2||$386.4 – $434.7||$515.2 – $595.7|
|Hollywood, MD to New York City, NY||272||$489.6 – $598.4||$652.8 – $734.4||$870.4 – $1006.4|
|New York City, NY to Springfield, PA||114||$205.2 – $250.8||$273.6 – $307.8||$364.8 – $421.8|
|Macon, GA to New York City, NY||896||$1612.8 – $1971.2||$2150.4 – $2419.2||$2867.2 – $3315.2|
|New York City, NY to Kansas City, MO||1189||$2140.2 – $2615.8||$2853.6 – $3210.3||$3804.8 – $4399.3|
|Sunnyvale, CA to New York City, NY||2933||$5279.4 – $6452.6||$7039.2 – $7919.1||$9385.6 – $10852.1|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and other factors.
Hourly Moving Rate Of Movers In NYC
The hourly rate for moving services mainly depends on the number of professional movers you need and the number of moving trucks you need. The table below shows some hourly rate examples based on these two factors:
|No. Of Movers||No. Of Moving Trucks||Average Hourly Moving Rate|
|Two||One||$100 per hour|
|Three||One||$145 per hour|
|Four||One||$190 per hour|
|Four||Two||$200 per hour|
How To Make Cost Of Moving In NYC More Affordable?
Moving can be just as stressful in NYC yet it can be an exciting experience as well. Not only do you have a lot to move, you are concerned with keeping it organized, protected, undamaged, and also worry about how much are movers in NYC. Here are several tips that will help take some of the hassles out of your intercity move without losing your belongings as well as manage NYC mover’s cost to make it as low as possible.
How To Decrease Cost Of Movers In NYC
- Avoid unnecessary work and unnecessary expenses – you’re going to be doing a lot as it is so work smarter, not harder. Also, save time to ensure that the apartment is clean once you are ready to leave. Unless you don’t care about getting that hefty security deposit back that you paid up front when you moved in.
- Get rid of items you no longer need or want – this is the perfect time to be charitable with items that some people need more than you do. Donating items to Goodwill or Salvation Army is a great way to help others and it’s tax-deductible.
- Organize, organize, and organize some more – a moving to-do list can be as long as a person’s arm. However, your burden will become increasingly lighter the more you organize and prepare for the move. Create a checklist by mapping out all that needs to be done. This normally involves several days so keep track of things on your calendar. If you break things down into smaller daily tasks, you’ll feel like you’re accomplishing more and making the move more manageable.
While moving to New York City can be daunting and expensive, it’s never a significant matter to be much concerned about. Numerous moving firms can assist you and make your relocation more comfortable and affordable than your expectations.
To learn more about moving costs in New York City or to get a FREE price quote, call Three Movers today.
What Types Of Options Are There For A NYC Move?
Because New York City is so populous, streets can become congested and small, and not all neighborhoods provide the same mobility alternatives. The specific options accessible to you will most likely be determined by the details of your move and your location. People travel in and out of NYC on a daily basis, so have no concern. Here are some of the methods to employ:
- DIY rental truck
- Moving and storage container service
- Moving and storage container service specialized for city moves
- Traditional full-service mover
- A combo of the above
How Much Should You Tip Moving Companies in NYC?
Some variables for you to consider are the size and distance of the action. Likewise, just how much stuff did they need to lug around? If you moved to a walkup, how many trips up stairs did the moving companies make? Did the relocation take place in the middle of a heatwave, rainstorm, or snowstorm? That stated, there are a couple of oblique rules.
The short answer is 15%–20% of the total worth of your move. It is a common method to acknowledge movers for their work and also extra initiative on the day. For instance, a $1,000 medium-sized move would certainly justify a $200 tip shared between two moving companies if they had actually shown an authentic dedication to your requirements throughout the day. It likewise aids in showing appreciation during the step. Purchase the team coffee, soft drinks, and also possibly a pizza–relocating, besides, is arduous work!
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
How much do movers cost per hour in NYC?
It usually costs somewhere between $40-$60 per hour to move locally in NYC. But, for long-distance, you usually have to pay fixed rates based on your needs.
How much do local movers usually cost?
For local moves, you usually have to pay somewhere between $20 to $50 per hour. But, the price is more expensive in places like New York City.
How much do movers in Brooklyn cost?
For a short distance move covering less than 10 miles, it costs around $750 to move an average-sized house.
How can I move cheaply in NYC?
To move cheaply in NYC, you have to rent a truck and then handle other aspects of the move on your own.
How do you estimate moving costs?
To estimate moving costs, you have to look into variables like distance of the move, size of the move, types of services you need, and the number of movers and the moving trucks that you need.
Do movers cost extra for disassembling beds?
Most movers will not charge you extra for disassembling beds. But, it will probably cost extra for packing, storage, and assembly.