Reliable Movers Near Me
Published on 2022-10-14
Moving is often considered one of the most stressful experiences that we go through in our lifetime. Unfortunately, choosing the wrong moving company can turn a challenging move into a complete nightmare. And, if you’re like us, you’ve probably heard a number of moving horror stories that involve stolen and broken items, or possibly worse.
Fortunately, you don’t have to leave your moving experience up to chance and there are steps you can take to ensure that hire a quality moving company. Finding reputable movers requires a bit of research, but the payoff is definitely worthwhile. Continue reading to learn exactly what you can do to find reliable movers.
Tips for How to Find Reliable Movers?
1. Determine the type of movers you need.
In most cases, moving companies will have a specialty. While some specialize in local moves, others focus on the interstate or long-distance relocations, and some focus their efforts on transporting delicate items like safes or pianos. The first step in finding reliable movers is to evaluate the scope of your relocation. To do so, ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I moving across the country, or is my move local? Do I need a moving company that specializes in interstate moves or will a local company suffice?
- Do I have any items that require special handling or equipment to move? These may include things like hot tubs, pianos, safes, pool tables, etc.
- Do I need any additional services such as trash removal, packing, or unpacking?
2. Consider hiring locally.
Oftentimes, hiring moves that are based in your area is the best way to avoid falling into a trap set by a rogue mover. You’d be surprised at the amount of unscrupulous moving companies out there that operate solely over the internet. With local moving companies, you can visit the office, meet your movers, and evaluate their equipment in person.
3. Evaluate the movers’ credentials.
While a simple Google search may seem like an excellent way to find a reliable moving company, you want to be systematic with your search. That way, you can appropriately compare movers. We recommend creating a spreadsheet to organize the movers you are considering. For each mover, make note of the following and give each its own column in your spreadsheet:
- Where you found the mover. For this, make a note of where you heard about the mover – whether it was on google or from a personal recommendation. As you reexamine your completed spreadsheet and compare moving companies, those personal references will typically hold more weight.
- Areas of service. Is this mover capable of accommodating both whether you currently live and where you are moving to?
- Years in business. Although newer companies may be more affordable, they come with flight risks. A mover with more years of experience is generally more reliable.
- Accreditations. Does the mover have any certificates or special accreditations that are worth noting? One common one to look out for is the American Moving and Storage Association.
- License and insurance. You want to verify that the company is properly licensed and insured. Interstate movers should have a license from the Department of Transportation (DOT), along with pertinent insurance information listed on their website.
4. Read reviews.
In addition to verifying credentials, you also want to read what past customers are saying about the mover. You should not select a moving company until you do this step. Be wary of testimonials on the mover’s website, as these are very easy to fake or fabricate. Instead, look at sites like The Better Business Bureau, Yelp, Google, Facebook, and the Department of Transportation.
5. Request estimates.
Once you have a good idea of the credentials, online reviews, and presence of your top movers, your next step is to obtain moving estimates. More specifically, it’s highly recommended that you request in-person estimates. It is crucial that the quotes be done in person and not via email or over the phone, as it’s difficult to accurately assess the scope of a move without physically seeing the size of the house and the number of belongings to be moved. For best results and to perform an accurate comparison, collect at least three estimates.
During the estimation stage, there are some red flags to keep a look out for that will help you avoid moving scams from unreliable movers. Here are some signs to look out for
- Especially low bids. Disregard any estimates that are substantially lower than the rest. While the low cost may be appealing, it could indicate that the movers don’t understand the scope of your move and may end up cutting corners. A low bid could also be a sign of a moving scam.
- Rented moving trucks. Smaller or new moving companies may have to rent trucks to build up their business. However, this is more common for small moves, like one or two items of furniture, and not as common for whole-house relocations. Reliable movers will have their own equipment and moving trucks – oftentimes, with their logo on the side.
- Large deposits. Technically speaking, reliable movers should not request more than 20% of the initial estimate as a deposit. We strongly recommend that you never put more than 20% down, and it’s ideal that the movers don’t require any payment until the move is completed.
- Unprofessionalism. Other behaviors that should never be displayed by a reliable mover are unprofessional demeanor, arriving late, and patronizing actions. You should also be wary of movers that don’t have an answering service. Finally, check if the address of the company is residential or commercial – commercial addresses tend to be more legitimate.
When it comes down to it, the key to finding reliable movers is doing plenty of research ahead of time before making any final decisions. Provided that you follow the tips outlined above, you should have no trouble finding a reliable moving company for your next move.
Get Your Reliable Movers
If it’s a reliable mover that you seek, you’ve come to the right place. The team of moving professionals at Three Movers is capable of handling virtually any job – no matter how big, small, or complex. We offer a wide range of moving and storage services to fit your needs and always assign you a personal move coordinator to be with you every step of the way. Our estimates are fully customized to your needs and budget, ensuring that you get all the services you need at a price you can afford.
We are committed to customer satisfaction and guarantee that the only thing lost during your move is the stress that comes along with the moving process. Contact us today to schedule your free onsite moving estimate and find out how you could save up to 20% when you hire Three Movers for your next relocation!
Recommended Article: Cheap Quick Moving Company Near You
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does it Cost for Reliable Movers?
The movers’ cost depends on the different moving factors, such as distance, moving size, load volume, and other factors. The average costs of reliable movers are as follows: Long-distance relocation of 250 miles: $850 to $5,700, Long-distance move of 1,000 miles: $950 to $8,100 and Long-distance relocation of 2,500 miles: $1,300 to $8,400 or more.